Uniting Against Obesity: Spain and Italy Take Action – Madrid Roundtable – Pietro Paganini
I participated in the roundtable discussion where representatives from the food and agricultural sectors, as well as civil society, advocated for a different labeling system than Nutriscore. For the Spanish politicians representing the three major parties – Popular, Socialist, and Vox – there will be no Nutriscore.
The upcoming Spanish government and presidency will support a different Front of Package labelling system than the one advocated by France. Nutriscore is dead – that’s the summary of the roundtable. Italy and Spain join forces to fight obesity and poor nutrition with different tools, starting with education.
Watch my intervention during the roundtable here >>>
Uniting Against Obesity: Spain and Italy Take Action
Here’s a summary of what I presented.
- Nutritional labels are considered a public policy tool to combat obesity and diseases related to poor nutrition.
- Obesity and poor nutrition are serious problems that need to be tackled. I presented the numbers on obesity.
- What are the causes of obesity? A simple label like Nutriscore is not enough to reduce obesity.
READ IT AGAIN: INTRODUCING THE LIFESCORE >>>
- The EU wants to introduce Nutriscore, but there is no scientific evidence of its effectiveness.
- I provocatively argued that if Nutriscore is valid, then it should be applied to all objects that contribute to obesity.
- I mentioned Lifescore as an example. Nutriscore is in the past; it threatens freedom of choice and diversity.
EUDR CHALLENGES: READ IT AGAIN ON THE JAKARTA POST >>>
- It undermines critical thinking. Systems like Nutriscore belong to a totalitarian state, an idea – influenced by Hegel – where science is a tool (not a method) to impose an ideology.
- I delved into the topics of freedoms, citizens’ critical abilities to make responsible choices, and the role of the state in providing knowledge. I introduced the concept of personalized diets and the future that awaits us.
Want to know more? Watch my intervention here >>>
Please note that I have translated the text provided, but it is important to review and make any necessary edits to ensure it aligns with your intended message.