Sustainable Palm Oil Fosters Biodiversity – Food Summit Turkey – Pietro Paganini
The Turkish Minister for Agriculture and FAO Turkey hosted the 7th Sustainable Food Summit: The Future of Food:Healthy People, New Generation Business, Livable Earth. I took part to the session Palm Oil in Sustainability: Friend or Foe.
Francesca Morgante, Market Development Manager for the Round Table for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) discussed with me the role of certified sustainable palm oil in fostering sustainability and promoting biodiversity. My panel was chaired by Ebru Akdag.
You can watch the recording of the panel Palm Oil in Sustainability: Friend or Foe here >>> Or here below (first 2 min in Turkish).
Here a short summary of my talk that was limited to 12 min. I presented a short version of my presentation at the World Rubber Summit in Singapore organised by the International Rubber Study Group.
- Problem: we are 7.6 billion people on earth.
- We need 2.000/2.00 K/cal per day.
- Nutrients are required to foster such energy.
- We need cheap nutrients.
- We need land to produce such nutrients.
- Can we produce such healthy and secure nutrients?
- I showed social and economic positive figures.
- I demonstrated that these numbers come together with negative figures.
- The impact of human growth has a devastating impact: I shoed figures.
- I introduced the concept of sustainability.
- I explained the different sustainability goals along history.
- I explained the 17 UN SDGs.
- I showcased palm oil impact in indonesia.
- I demonstrated that palm oil plantations and production can happen sustainable
- I have showed the positive impact of palm oil on people, biodiversity, forest preservation, etc.